CVM urges Akufo-Addo to save collapsing Neoplan Limited

The Concern Voters Movement (CVM) leadership is urging President Akufo-Addo to intervene and save the collapsing Neoplan Ghana Limited since his appointees at the Transport Ministry have failed woefully to support the company.
A press statement signed by Razak Kojo Opoku, CVM Founder and President, said government has an obligation towards Ghanaians to save the distressed company.
 The Concern Voters Movement leadership
Government, the statement added, cannot continue to rely on the importation of Chinese, Korea, and Indian buses at the detriment of Neoplan (Ghana) Limited, a 55% government-owned company, adding that this is absolutely unacceptable.
The Neoplan (Ghana) Limited, a bus manufacturing company has been in existence since 1974.
Since its establishment, the company has made history in producing over 4,000 buses for government institutions, universities, Metro Mass Transit (MMT), GPRTU and private individuals and companies.
In 2002, President Kufuor’s government contracted Neoplan Ghana Limited to build 450 DAF/VDL buses for Metro Mass Transit, this contract ended in July 2010 and Neoplan Ghana Limited has since not gotten any contracts from successive Governments.
Former President Prof. Atta-Mills and  Former President John Mahama’s governments never responded to the cries of the company.
Also, the Akufo-Addo-led government has not made any meaningful efforts to revamp the Neoplan (Ghana) Limited.
This, the group described as sad considering the fact that government has 55% shares in the company and is the majority shareholder, and the remaining 45% is for a private company known as Fadoul Group.
”An internal memo from Neoplan (Ghana) Limited dated 15/01/2020 intercepted by Concerned Voters Movement(CVM) indicates that the company would officially close down all its branches on the 31st of January 2020.
”The closure is largely due to the lack of support and contracts from the government which is the majority shareholder as well as recurring monthly losses,” the group noted.
As the result of the closure, it said, all employment contracts with Neoplan Ghana Limited will be terminated by 31st January 2020.
According to President Akufo-Addo, he is constantly looking for employment opportunities for young people and that Ghana’s biggest issue is jobs for young people.
On this basis, the leadership of CVM said, President Akufo-Addo has no choice but to see the revamping of Neoplan Ghana Limited.
BY 24NEWS.NEWS/GHANA

About 24news-

24NEWS provides breaking and credible news in Ghana and the world at large

Check Also

Why Akufo-Addo suspended foreign travels for public officials

President Akufo-Addo has suspended temporarily all foreign travels for all public officials, as part of …

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.